We're looking for a great software development manager
£60 -80,000 + competitive package.
Do you thrive on running and developing technical teams? Are you looking for a role that offers the autonomy to drive a growing business and the opportunity to work with and learn a wider range of technical tools?
About the role
As an experienced software development manager, your main role is to support our developers so that they can focus on creating world-class products for our clients. Working with our experienced team, you'll be responsible for strategy, planning, delivery and quality control of everything technical. This includes which tools we use, our processes, our recruitment strategy, our approach to system design, and delivery of our short-, medium- and long-term technical goals.
You'll coordinate with the design team, project managers, and report to the senior leadership team, recommending and negotiating to make sure you can provide for your team and meet our business objectives.
A typical week for you might include:
- Coaching and mentoring
- Training and personal development planning
- Recruitment support and recommendations
Technical planning and estimating
- Creating high-level estimates for projects, supporting your team in creating detailed plans and estimates in Jira
- Supporting business development by providing questions, answers, and estimates to the sales team
- Meeting clients and Versantus colleagues to understand and capture technical and non-technical requirements. This might take the form of a sit down meeting, or a large group workshop where you will facilitate discussion, idea creation and decision making. Some of these will be on-site at customer offices around the UK, some in our offices, and some over a video call
- Analysing, expanding and writing up these requirements as clear user stories in our project management software, Jira
- Working with your teams to explore and estimate new work, identify risks and agree a workable schedule, then reporting back to the business development team and to your client
Scheduling and reporting
- Working alongside PMs to agree the best use of our resources to ensure timely and profitable delivery of our projects
- Regular KPI reporting to the leadership team, highlighting any issues and suggesting improvements to help our customers and our business
- Business development
- This is not a sales role but as a central part of the team, you'll be helping to showcase our skills and give prospective customers confidence that we are right for them. You'll be expected to learn and understand our products and to be a strong advocate for all the things that make Versantus great
- Attending sales meetings, presentations, conferences as part of a team representing Versantus to prospective customers
- Onboarding new customers, introducing them to the team and our processes, and making sure they know how to get the best out of them
- Looking for new business opportunities with our existing customers, and liaising with the sales and delivery teams to turn them into concrete suggestions
You'll be defining the technology, tools, and processes that we should be using. You'll be excited by technology and know how to identify, evaluate, and recommend technical solutions that are going to support and develop our business and your team in the future.
You'll be an experienced project manager, client manager, account manager, business analyst or have relevant technical experience and a desire to move into a new coordinating role:
- A demonstrable track record of delivering successful digital projects within a busy, multi-project, multi-disciplinary agency setting
- A love of technology and the opportunities and challenges it brings, with a desire to build exciting, innovative and challenging products that benefit our customers and their users
- Superb communication skills, and the confidence to work closely with people across all levels of our clients' business, using audience-appropriate language to ensure a common understanding. You'll be able to build strong, meaningful relationships with our customers and the rest of the team
- The ability to listen, understand, question, challenge and negotiate, and to extract technical and non-technical project requirements from our customers and our expert team. You'll then organise these into a clearly defined set of User Stories that are meaningful to all parties
- Experience of owning a project budget, schedule and scope, working with all stakeholders to ensure there are no surprises and that projects are delivered on time, and on budget, and that they meet our high standards of quality
- The spidey-senseTM to see opportunities to sell more, working with the rest of the team to generate proactive ideas that will deliver value to your customers
- A desire to keep on learning, and the confidence to use your expertise to constantly innovate and improve how we do things at Versantus
These would also help
- Experience with Agile software development processes (specifically Scrum)
- Experience of web development platforms and tools, including any or all of the following buzzwords: PHP, Jira, Content Management Systems (Wordpress, Drupal), APIs and integrations, E-commerce, User-focused design, Apps, Voice interfaces, Artificial Intelligence, or Machine Learning. Phew.
Versantus create next-generation software and web platforms with world-class design and UX. We do this for startups, scale-ups and large corporate clients across all industries.
Our in-house design and development teams work on crazy-exciting projects with all of the latest hashtags - #AI, #MachineLearning, #Voice, #IoT, #LOL.
In return for your hard work, we offer a great working environment, a competitive salary and benefits package, 25 days holiday, and a company pension scheme.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies thanks.